Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday 22







Well, I'm both tired and wound up. Everyone else is asleep or at least in bed, but I'm up like I was last night thinking about things tomorrow. Carolyn and Tam (I think) had my camera today. I put in a couple pictures from the OR. You can see Pete, Eye Dr. turned dermatologist operating with Lionel. Then there is Keveta, Sue and Jody. They are exhaused tonight. And, last but not least proof positive that they have a fly swatter in the OR. Notice the shoe holder behind Jody. It's the perfect way to organize suture, gloves, blades, etc. The California team dreamed it up and kept it for us.
It panned out that my worry about today was correctly placed about how to deal with a man with a large nasal tumor. He came advertised as a polyp (no big deal). Let's see, didn't I think that before??? Well I scoped him last Friday and knew it wasn't just any old polyp. He had a biopsy done in Managua months ago that said inflammation, but it wasn't just that. There is no CT scan to be had here so I pondered what it was, etc, etc, etc. He was 2nd to last of 12 cases today. The day was going incredibly smoothly up until the tumor was found to be attached quite tightly in more places than I expected, but I was at a point of no return. 3 units of bleeding later I got the tumor out. It was about the size of a golf ball, way, way, way in the back. Then it started REALLY BLEEDING. Finally 3 more units of bleeding later, I had in the most heavy duty pack I could make and we had it well controlled. Sue scrubbed, but pretty soon Jody and Tam were retracting on posterior pack sutures. Never mind that I accidently hit Sue pretty hard when one broke. I'm hoping she will forgive me. I still don't know exactly what the tumor is. I've cut a deal with our pathologist to look at any unusual specimens I bring back so there is a little piece of it that will find it's way into my suitcase so the patient won't have to wait the usual month for a report........
By the way, the emergency tracheotomy patient was up and talking to me today. I should be able to take it out tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to worry about the 11 month old cleft I'm doing tomorrow..............
The team is working together so well it's unbelievable. They are making it look easy inspite of the conditions. The best bathroom in the hospital is right by the OR. There is no toilet seat or paper or flushing handle. You have to pour water in to kinda' flush it. There is a big tub of water beside it with a big scoop floating in it to get the water to pour from. The floor is wet, it's just gross, then there is no sink to wash your hands.
Around the corner is the scrub sink with city water (undrinkable) till noon and a PVC pipe with a wrench type handle with other water that was collected from somewhere else??? I don't really know. I have TP in my backpach at all times and use lots of hand sanitizer. Later.... NN

7 comments:

Unknown said...

NN, What a first day you all had in the OR. Just look at all the good you are doing for these people who otherwise would not have had any care. It's amazing to me. The fly swatter in the operating room!!!!! Hard for us to imagine unless you were right in the middle of it all. Take care and get some sleep. They all need you!!!!! Blessings to all and the work that you do, We are so proud of you. Hang in there and thanks for the blogs. It's makes me think so often that I need to put my day in perspective. Indirectly we are all learning from your experience. Thanks for all that you do and will be doing this week. God's Blessing to all. KMS

Unknown said...

Good Luck on the Cleft!! Can't wait to see before and after pictures! You all are amazing! NAR

Unknown said...

Alright this is great! Now let's some more pictures. Not nearly enough! Giana

Unknown said...

Also, Mom, don't worry about the 11 month old cleft. You know what you're doing, trust me I've seen you reading. It's in the Lord's hands, that should make you feel better. Giana

Anonymous said...

Wow we are so proud of you mom and dad!
MRT AND JET

Unknown said...

What a long and rewarding day you have all had! It is not below 0 here, typical Nebraska weather, 20 degrees and blowing snow. As if we don't get enough of it during the day, we watch the winter olympics at night, USA is doing very good we have won several metals!
Long days like this one (not only physically but also mentally and emotionally) will becaome very exhausting for all of you. It is important to take care of yourselves also! When you get 5 mintues during the day or evening you should all sit down for a "debreifing" session, talk about your excitement, frustrations and all the other emotions that have experienced throughout the day... it is important to refuel eachother! And one last thing....... I would bet that taking time to kill flies between surgerys is a killer on your turn over time! Prayers for all! Kay

Anonymous said...

nila, should have saved that cleft palate for me!!!! rick