Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cleft
















Well, the cleft went very well. PED was an awesome first asst who helped me map out all the little flaps, measure, etc. In the end I thought it wasn't symmetrical enough, etc. but looking at my references afterword to see what I should have done different I saw that all their post op results had the same asymmetry as mine did so I was reassured. The mom looked really happy and Channa was eating an up right away. Melissa was in her glory with that baby, helping with the IV. We put in an IO (like a bone IV in the leg). Sorry about the picture. I have plans to get a good one. Please tell Deb Curry. She was interested in the cleft, but I don't think she does much internet.
I put in a picture of John and Karl with their OR table adventure.
Our thyroid was totally routine, but for lack of most of the key instruments I'm used to. The ear drum perforation made history as the first ear surgery ever done here. The local nurses were all taking pictures.
I took out the trach. The guy was happy.
Our nasal tumor 'Quillermo" is in ICU still with all the packing. OK, I didn't do my math right and he really only lost 1 1/2 liters of blood instead of 6 units. I'm going to start unpacking it today.
I befriended a new med student, Jassinia, pictured above. She's been in med school 3 weeks and just finished high school. They go 5 years combining college and med school compared to our 8 so she's just now taking triginometry and has zero experience. I gave her a scrub suit from my office. She's living in the orphanage with her brother. Her mom was shot by her stepfather and is paralysed from the waist down so can't take care of her or her siblings.
We're learning a Spanish word of the day (my idea). I think tengo (I have) will be for today. Yesterday was entiendo (I understand).
John and Karl regaled us with a story about the dog with the bloody guaze in it's mouth in the hospital compound being followed by a vulture. There are dogs everywhere sitting outside patient rooms and the nursing stations. There was a horse there the other day. I think Carolyn wanted to ride it. The fish the used guaze out of the trash and wash it and refold and use it. It turns out beautiful and give jobs to people.
Janet and Katrina have totally hit their stride in the Recovery Room. The TV station came with video cameras and interviewed Janet. I guess we made the local news, but we don't have a TV to watch it. They say she looked lovely on camera, swetting and all.
I have so many stories I could write all day. I can't imagine anything more exciting can happen than the emergency trach, bleeding and cleft so the rest of the week will be a piece of cake. NN

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go team. Sounds like you all had an exciting day on Tuesday. Yes Melissa would be in her glory with those children. Hang in there as you continue to do God's work for these people. So glad everything is going well. Take care. We are proud of you all!!!!
Kathy