Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Monday, Surgery

We rode to the hospital, about 10 minutes, in the back of the truck. It reminds me of my days on the farm. We had a wild first day in surgery. 6 tonsils, a cleft, a gigantic forehead mole, 1 tonsil bleed. It turns out the cleft had already been repaired by Operation Smile in Granada last Oct, but got infected and fell apart, but mom didn't tell us because she was afraid they would get turned away. I kept commenting he looked like he had surgical scars, but I was reassured it hadn't. At any rate enough tissue had been removed so things didn't match up as well as they should have, but I did my best and now we all have to prey it doesn't get infected and fall apart again. If it could happen to Operation Smile, it could happen to me. A girl showed up, 16 with a wide... very wide open cleft palate and waited all day hoping we could do it yesterday, but we couldn't, so she is coming back today. I don't thing I can get the whole thing closed, but again will do my best.
We are giving away our sewing kits the 4-H kids made.
They are a real hit. The gowns the Federated women made are perfect. The mother of the cleft baby had the shirt on her back, no place to stay, no money and no food. We're keeping the baby (and mom) in the hospital so they have food and a place to stay. We've got bags of rice, beans and powdered milk to give her when they leave.
They have a rule to feed babys by cup at 2 months of age since they don't wash the nipples on bottles, but they they feed them Kool Aid and rice milk so the little ones can be extremely malnourished.

No comments: