Sunday, April 24, 2016

SUNDAY

They told us we (those not in surgery) could go to church if we wanted so some did, but they all got called back when we found that additional patients from last nights massive wreck were being transferred here from St. Marc, the third largest city in Haiti. Their hospital was overwhelmed so I got a facial fracture, leg fracture that I will do in combination with Ortho tomorrow. Apparently a truck full of people couldn't make it up the hill, started rolling backward, hit a car and rolled. I found the picture of me suturing in the hall in the dark sweating (note my shirt). 

Aside from that there were two motorcycle wrecks. I got one driver who hit a wall and fractured his cheekbone. 

He needed suturing and I'll fix his fracture Tuesday. Tomorrow is full. 
I followed him across the street to X-Ryan so saw their facility circa WW Ii. The X-ray didn't elk me anything I didn't already know but it proved to the family that it was fractured. 
We've been using the hospital gowns the Federated church needle raft ministry made for us and will send diapers and hygiene kits to the orphanage if there are any left when we are done. These kids had their tonsils out and HS on the gowns. Otherwise sometimes kids are in adult gowns. I think they should have swapped sizes, but, oh well....
Another woman got hit by a motorcycle and died in our hospital with a basilar skull fracture. It was hard to watch. 

No comments: