Friday, April 24, 2015

IN DOHA

I knew nothing about Doha, Qatar before this, but we are here now for 9 hours. The Internet is sketchy. Fortunately our group has some tech knowledge so we can get around it. The trip was long and trying to sleep was miserable so we are tired and have an 8 hr time change now. We were courageous and jumped in a cab and went to the market district. This is a very small, but oil rich country. The airport is brand new, shining and modern. The majority of the women wear head scarves, some with only a slit for the eyes and black from head to toe. Considering how ridiculously hot it must be here at times I don't know how they can do it. I admit that I get somewhat philosophical about it and wonder why they need to cover up to keep the men from being distracted. It seems like the men could have a little more self control than that and should take some pride in that. But then I look at all the various cultural differences around the world and realize it's a lot more than that. More than I can ever figure out. 
Many of the men had the long Arab robes also. It turns out that if you just see them from the waist up it looks like they have a white man's dress shirt with buttons, but then the bottom goes all the way to the floor. This is the first time I've ever seen this close up. Keep in mind your writer is a little country girl from the Midwest who doesn't get out much. 
This was a group of men dancing in the market. It went on for a long time. Hours? Maybe?  We watched awhile. The music sounded just like you'd expect   
Then we roamed into some shops. Language was a definite barrier. 
This is a shop where I bought some little things only to find out they are made in China!!!!
We ate in an Iraqi restaurant. So far every meal including the plane has included rice and curry. I'm sure they have other things, but I haven't found it. 
The bread is naan. There was yogurt to dip bread in and use like ketchup (I think). 
This was chicken and saffron rice. 
We walked around and saw a HUGE mosque. 
One thing we saw were these smoking bars. There is no alcohol at the restaurants, but people are sitting around smoking flavored tobacco. I restrained myself but some of the team (you can tell who has the adventuresome spirits here) tried it. What a hoot!
This seems like it could be drugs but they say it's not. 

  The down side was I was sooooo tired we then headed back to the airport and even in the 'quiet' room I couldn't sleep. I was too afraid I miss our flight. Now the next leg coming up. Boarding soon. We take off at 4am. 




No comments: