Tuesday, April 28, 2015

HOTEL ORCHID

This was the best night's sleep I've had yet. The water works and shower is hot. Internet is strong. 
Our room has the third balcony up on the right side. 
The entrance with our bags. 
Our room. 
The towel is folded like and orchid. 

Two of our team has made it to China on the way to Houston. One gave up on the airport and rejoined us. One left for Bali via Bankok and one was headed to New Dehli but we have had no word from him at all. Our breakfast this morning was fried curried potatoes, papaya and watermelon, steamed vegetables toast, omelets and tea. 

I woke up at 5 to pouring rain so quickly got the clothes off the balcony that I had washed in the shower. Fortunately there is an overhang so they weren't drenched, but everything is moist. I decided to just wear them today since my wardrobe is limited. I had expected to wear the same clothes for a week at a time without showering but things are a little better than that. Our duffle bags can only weigh 30 lb. each porter carries two so they  limit the weight. 

Pokhara is beautiful and not nearly as chaotic as Kathmadu. We are hiking up to somewhere this morning, then driving an hour to hike from the end of the road to Seuli Bazaar and spend the night in a tea house. I don't expect a shower there but they should have electricity. 
I highly recommend these hiking pants. The legs zip off and they have lots of great zipper pockets big enough to keep your passport right on you along with some money. They are stretchy, comfortable and dry quickly. 
 There is another Shintu priest standing in the hotel doorway with his little bucket of red paint and marigold petals to bless me but I still have the red dot on my forehead from yesterday, in spite of the shower, so I don't need another one. 
We have a couple from the UK who had to abandon their trek to Everest Base Camp when the earthquake hit half way along the route. 
Jules and Lynsey from UK. 

They have a harrowing tale to tell. They are in the process of moving to India with the military and are delightful. 
Our Sherpas aren't from the Sherpa clan so I learned a lot about them at dinner last night. I'll get a picture of them and post more when I can. 



No comments: