Sunday, April 6, 2014

SUNDAY, DAY OF REST?

Today we had no scheduled clinic, but the Primary Care saw patients anyway.  Urology and ENT did surgery.  We have 2 OR's, one small and one larger.  I have to say this is more organized than any mission I've done (save Guatemala where the whole hospital was in a big truck).  Since there was no GYN surgery, Dr. Julie (Bleyenberg) assisted me with the thyroid.  This had been there for an indefinite length of time.  The lady said she was 50, but I'm not sure she really knew.  Most people are born at home and have not birth certificate, so it's not uncommon to pick your age and birthday.
We first did a tonsil which went off without a hitch.  Not even 2 drops of blood and the child went home before I finished with the thyroid.
The tonsil starting.

The thyroid was massive and took 4 hours, so while we were finishing surgery, the rest of the team went to OSAPO, which is a very progressive health care and teaching facility. 
Pre op thyroid, 50 year old.
Tumor is OUT! 
A very good day.  I'll post more about OSAPA later, it's an example of Global Public Health program.




No comments: