Saturday, April 5, 2014

HAITI CLINIC DAY 1, UNSCHEDULED

Today was a day to see just a few patients.  We weren't really advertised to be here seeing patients in regular clinic so we only saw 75 people.  I personally just saw 15.  A couple of them were sent up from Port au Prince, I think by the ENT there who I am supposed to work with next week.  They both had bad ears. One was a large perforation which I'm very afraid won't heal since it's so large.  The other is a child with an ear canal closed up.  Mom swears it was normal at birth, but closed up at age 2 mo and has drained ever since.  I'm waiting till the radiologist gets here tomorrow to look at the CT scan they brought with them before I decide what to do.  I saw nasal polyps eroding into the eye and a tumor the size of 1/2 a soccer ball on the side of the face.  Given the fact that it was at least partially removed 3 years ago and I saw a picture of it, and the fact that his jaw bone is eaten away, and the fact that he is HIV positive, I don't think there is much I can do for him.  I took a needle biopsy so we'll see what our lab has to say about it.  There was a leg with a 2 year old machetti wound that needs amputation.  None of that "worried well" stuff we see back home. You know, "just wanted to be reassured I didn't have cancer", type patient.  The limited X-ray capability and lab force all of us to use our clinical judgement.  Cole was afraid he wouldn't have anything to do, but is working in pharmacy and will work with HIV testing starting Monday.  John D. is go-fer extraordinaire and worked non-stop all day.  We've got the Family Medicine clinic fully staffed, admitted some CHF today and the Urologist and OB/GYN running nonstop all day.  There's a limit to how much I can load on this internet, so I'll try to post some pictures.
It didn't load them all, but this is fairly good.  NN
Mary, Namdar, Kate, Wendie and Melinda.  Pre and Post op nurses.
Line at the registration table.  Crowds were very well behaved.  Lined up and waited patiently.  They let in about 20 at a time so as not to clog the hallways.



Outside the front entrance to the hospital.  Patients being patient.


John and his totes full of supplies.  He never stops working.

Laci, John and Linda.  Laci is working in surgery and helped get stuff we needed for clinic.  Linda is the ENT clinic nurse. 

More equipment in the corner of the ENT exam room.

Here with the microscope John was able to mount on the exam bed.

This guy got in a fight with his uncle 8 days ago and his uncle bit him.

I got him patched up, but told him not to eat a Big Mac for a couple weeks so it won't break open.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are all amazing and such an insperation. Bless you all and keeping you in my prayers.