Wednesday, April 23, 2014

GUEST BLOGGER - WENDIE NASH

Today's guest blogger is Wendie Nash, RN from Sterling, Nebraska. She is a long time friend of Kim Harm.

It was a Friday.  Friday’s are the day everyone looks forward too as it means the weekend is near.  This particular Friday I wasn’t thinking about the weekend.  I wasn’t even thinking about the upcoming week.  I had butterflies in my stomach, this particular Friday, I was nervous.  I was about to embark on a journey that ultimately would change me.  Last Christmas I was asked if I wanted to take this adventure and without a seconds thought I said, “yes.”  I made the call, got introduced to people, plans were set in motion.  Then the day finally arrived to begin this journey.  We arrived at the airport, a bunch of people who were brought together for the same reason.  Some of us knew others, some of us met for the first time.  I didn’t know it on that Friday, but I would come to love each of those people who were strangers to me.




I am not a world traveler, but I have traveled a lot in my lifetime.  Been across the ocean a time or two, but this was my first time to a different country.  A country struck with poverty and in need of help.  I wasn’t expecting to see lavish resorts or beautiful beaches.  I had done my research prior to my trip and I knew what I might encounter.  I watch the “Amazing Race” I thought I knew where my adventure would take me.  We made our way to Haiti without any problems.  We arrived and quickly loaded ourselves and the supplies and made our way to our living quarters for the next week.  The ride was long and the view was like nothing I have ever witnessed.  Seeing devastation first hand is beyond humbling.  I sat there amongst strangers, trying to not get emotional.  At that moment, I forgot about the world I left behind and started getting excited knowing I was there to help.







The week went by very fast, almost in an instant my time was over.  It was like a whirlwind of sorts.  Those who had come before us told us it would be a lot of hard work.  Coming from a small critical access hospital, we have days that are long and very busy.   My busiest, most emotionally charged day at home didn’t even compare to what I did every single day I was working at Pierre Payen Hospital.   As tiring as the days were, I felt accomplished at the end of the day.  I’ve always considered being a nurse as a thankless job, similar to that of being a mother.  The people I encountered were all so gracious and thankful.  I had been thanked, blessed, and even prayed for by the family members of my patients.  Such unwavering selflessness.   I saw so many people, I didn’t remember names just diagnosis.  I have a few names and faces I will not ever forget.  Like Clarisse, the smile behind the sad eyes.  I may not remember their names, but I will remember their stories.  I will remember the huge sense of community.  I will remember Maurice sitting in front of the door, without words, watching his friend trying to breathe. 


I take away from this adventure, this journey, this experience so much more than I gave.  I take away humility, bravery, and compassion.  I saw and felt things I will never forget.  This will be one of my defining moments in life.  One of the greatest things I have ever done… and will do again!   I feel happy knowing I helped, even for a little while.   I am truly blessed to have been a part of this group.  I am thankful and grateful.  “My cup runneth over.” (Psalm 23)

Wendie, Namdar and Mary.
Wendy........ hot!
As the week drew to a close, we had a group meeting.  We were asked to share our highs and lows.  My high was encountering people who would show me graciousness.  My low was knowing I was leaving the next day.  I wasn’t thinking of the weekend activities, going back home, or going back to work.  I was leaving a place that changed my heart, changed the way I saw the world, changed me.  The next day I left Haiti with a full heart and no butterflies.  It was a Friday.

CMMT at The Indigo resort on the ocean, the last night.




 


 

2 comments:

Diwakar said...

Hello, Missionaries with ties to Columbus Nebraska doing medical Mission work. I am so glad to know about you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am from Mumbai, India and would be interested to have such team coming to help us in the slums of Mumbai amongst poorest of poor to conduct medical camps and helping bring health care to such people. I would like to hear more about it. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in this city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.

Diwakar said...

Hello sister "The Refuge". I am so glad to know about your Centre for Pregnancy care. I am from in he Pastoral ministry in a city called Mumbai, India and love to know about your Centre. God willing I will be coming to States in June/ July and will be so glad to visit your Centre. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.