Friday, February 15, 2013

KENYA - GOING ON SAFARI

We didn't have internet last night so didn't get a chance to blog.  I had a record day.........  When I took my gown and gloves off after my last case my entire scrub suit was drenched in sweat from my neck to my knees.  I have to admit sweat dripped into the edge of the field a couple times, but not in the wound.    A lady walked in during the morning with a large neck mass.  I thought Dr. Wachira and I were doing it together, but in the end he went to eat a bite, then when he came back he thought it was going so well I didn't need any more help so left without me knowing.  He lives in a different city.  At any rate, in spite of no AC and John spending about an hour on the floor trying to connect and reconnect the suction and cautery along with the fan we did well and she looked like a million bucks today.  She was in her 20's and had the mass growing for a couple years.  I'll try to post a couple pictures. The drain situation is interesting.  The little tube I thought would be a suction drain, but then realized we can't do suction drains so I put in a penrose drain (the larger one).  I rebandaged it and she'll stay in the hospital over the weekend while we're on safari.  


Gotta go.  Safari leaving.


 Then I helped Dr. Stice with a huge ulcerated scalp.  You can't imagine it.  We removed about 2/3 of his scalp.  Thing of the worst cystic acne x 10 and add large open ulcers grapefruit and pineapple size with skin 3" thick in places.  He lost a lot of blood like you could imagine if you've ever had a cut on your scalp.  I won't post pictures of that.

1 comment:

Ashley Carstens said...

Very interesting! Sure wouldn't see these things in the US, even the worst of the worst. In sure they really appreciate the surgery!