Monday, February 23, 2015

SEARCHING FOR THE YETI

There is a lot going on in my life!  There is a new grandchild on the way and a daughter getting married before our next mission. In the mean time, I have to pinch myself to be sure it's not a dream that we get to go to Nepal to set up a new mission AND trek to the Base Camp of Mt. Everest all in the same trip.  To that end, I've been reading (in all my spare time) about Nepal.

Since I don't have much information about the mission, especially since it's not even established yet, I've decided to share some interesting things about this country.  This is VERY different from any place we've been before. Poverty is a huge problem due to changing governments and instability, but things have been improving over the last few years, so it is encouraging.

This is a summary gleaned from http://www.lonelyplanet.com/nepal about the Yeti. It is paraphrased to save time and space.

'Along with the equally slippery notion of Shangri La, the Yeti is one of Nepal's most famous cultural exports, occupying a hotly debated biological niche somewhere between zoology and folk religion.
..... The word yeti comes from the Tebetan yeh-teh, or "man of the rocky/snowy places'.  First hand accounts describe it as 'abominal snowman', having reddish fur, a conical head, a high-pitched cry and strange body odour that smells of garlic. There are various descriptions, one says it moves on all fours and preys on goats, sheep and yaks. There are more than one type of Yeti. Worst of all is the man-eater, 6ft to 8ft tall and a very bad temperment.  Consider yourself warned. '
"Trekkers to the Base Camp can still see the yeti scalp at the Khumjung Monastery (actually made from the skin of a serow (type of goat/antelope). The regions's Yeti pelts' actually belong to the Himalayan blue bear. "  Image result for yeti image

I guess I'm more afraid of the altitude than the Yeti, but I'll keep a lookout!

NN

No comments: