Friday, February 17, 2012

Hello everyone.The trip has definately enriched my life.The people here are so gracious and so thankful for our presence here.I have worked in the recovery room and it has been nice to revisit past experiences of my nursing career.I had the privilege to helping a young mom initiate her breastfeeding experience.Here NO bottles for first six months of life.Only cleft palates are not breastfed.Moms only hand express as there is only one pump and the nurses say it is not working well.I have taken pics of breastfeeding posters that are up on the wards.NICU is very interesting.Lots of preemies.The first visit we saw a preemie, 26 week gestation born the 13th .Only on O2 nasal cannula and IV fluid.Mom expressed breastmilk for gavage feedings.I was able to go in on a C Section on Wed.at 3pm.She was dismissed the next morning only to return on Thurs.bleeding and elevated BP.She is doing okay in ICU today.The maternity ward is 30 bed according to Dr.Taylor.Seventy percent deliver at home and they still deliver 800 or so per year.The experience has been more than rewarding and I thank each and every one of you for support and your prayers.God Bless.Sherilyn

No comments: